All private lesson parents are expected to participate in the music playing for our skaters, whether their child has music of their own yet or not. Figure Skating is a sport that requires music to be played for competitions, tests and/or ice shows. Without music our skaters could not attend any of these events. When your child starts taking private lessons it becomes your responsibility to participate in the music playing rotation. You may be requested to play music once a month or more for each session your child skates on, depending on the amount of skaters on each session. If your child is older he/she may play the music instead for a session that they do not skate on. Music is played on all sessions, dance, freeskate, skills and group development. Our Music Coordinator will set up a rotation schedule. If you have signed up to play and cannot make it, it is your responsibility to find a replacement.
Occasionally throughout the year there will be sessions when some of our coaches, executives and skaters will be away at competitions or tests. At these times, it is requested that all parents stay in the arena with their children. Please do not drop them off at the door and leave!! Your children must be supervised on the ice. You coach will let you know these special dates.
A cheque of $150.00 is required from any skater taking private lessons Fall/Winter. A cheque dated September 1, 2022 must be provided if you choose not to play music for our skaters. If you will be playing music, please date your cheque March 1, 2023. This cheque will be cashed at the discretion of the Music Coordinator, with the MSC Executive Board approval. Cheques MUST be received from every private skater at time of registration
- Out of club skaters, who pay 25% higher cost in lieu of the bond.
- Club skaters who are 18 years of age or older, may choose to pay a 25% higher cost in lieu of playing music.
NO music will be accepted for playing without prior permission from the music coordinator. Once the bond cheque has been received, the skater will have their music played in the regular weekly music rotation.
For those that have written cheques for March 1, 2023, and have fulfilled music commitment requirements, your post-dated cheque will be returned. If the music playing requirements are not met, your cheque will be cashed.
Please remember to sign in the music binder when you play. This book is a record of who is playing and when. If you do not sign-in, we will have no record that your bond was met.
- If you are scheduled to play music the first session of the day, please get the music binder and iPad from a board member, or a coach as you will need to set up for the day. An experienced music player or board member can show you the ropes.
- Remember to sign-in on the music player’s sheet so that you will receive credit for playing music.
- The Buy-On skaters will come and tell you they are buying-on. 5-7 minutes after the session begins, please announce a reminder that any buy-on skaters must have checked in with you and if have not done so, to do so immediately.
- Maximum number of skaters on any session is 18. Number of skaters above this will be at the collective discretion of the Mission Skating Club coaches
- Play group development (GD) music for 5-10 minutes on sessions that have GD before free skate.
- For sessions that have GD before or after freeskate, play GD music for 2-3 minutes
- Go through the sessions list by starting a skaters music for 3-5 seconds and stopping. The skater should go to their spot. Skaters are not allowed to wave off their own music.Then mark it off in the book as follows: Played (1) No Music (NM) Refused (R) Absent (A) Pro Request (P) Off Ice (O)
- Please note the music player can skip over the skater if they are in a lesson with a coach. (If you are unsure, start their music any way, the coach will wave off if not needed).
- Coaches may request music TWICE max. per 15 min lesson. Coaches may only request the music of the skater being coached in a lesson.
- No skater may request his or her own music to be played.
- Play the buy-on skater music ONLY after you have played the regular session skaters. Except if the coach is giving the buy-on skater a lesson, the coach then may request the buy-on skaters music.
- Play only interpretive and freeskate music during the free skate sessions.
- The music player on the last session of the day is required to put the music binder back in the club room, or give to a coach to do so. All equipment and lights of the music room should be turned off and the door shut completely with pad lock in locked position. Please return music room keys (if you have them), binder and iPad to a coach or board member to place back in the clubroom.
A $50 music bond will be payable if a family does not participate in the music playing schedule, at the discretion of the Music Coordinator and the Executive Board. This will be due & payable on May 27th, 2023, the last day of spring season, via Uplifter. Music Coordinator will email everyone details directly.
If a family chooses to opt out of playing music at registration time, this bond will be applied for payment with registration via Uplifter and due April 1st, 2023. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you choose this option.
NO music will be accepted for playing without prior permission from the music coordinator. Once the bond status has been confirmed, the skater will have their music played in the regular weekly music rotation.
Please remember to sign in the music book when you play. This book is a record of who is playing and when. If you do not sign-in, we will have no record that your music bond was met.