All private lesson parents are expected to participate in the music playing for our skaters, whether their child has music of their own yet or not. Figure Skating is a sport that requires music to be played for competitions, tests and/or ice shows. Without music our skaters could not attend any of these events. When your child starts taking private lessons it becomes your responsibility to participate in the music playing rotation. You may be requested to play music once a month or more for each session your child skates on, depending on the amount of skaters on each session. If your child is older he/she may play the music instead for a session that they do not skate on. Music is played on all sessions, dance, freeskate, skills and group development. Our Music Coordinator will set up a rotation schedule. If you have signed up to play and cannot make it, it is your responsibility to find a replacement.
Occasionally throughout the year there will be sessions when some of our coaches, executives and skaters will be away at competitions or tests. At these times, it is requested that all parents stay in the arena with their children. Please do not drop them off at the door and leave!! Your children must be supervised on the ice. You coach will let you know these special dates.
Each family of a private skater will be required to play music on your skaters sessions (on a rotational basis) throughout the Fall/Winter season. Our Music/Buy-on Coordinator will make up a schedule and keep track of each family’s music playing hours. If it is determined that a family does not meet the music playing commitments a bond of $150 will be due & payable via uplifter, on March 1, 2024.
If a family chooses to opt out of music playing, this bond will be applied for payment on Uplifter and due at time of registration. Please email MSC Music Chair if you choose this option. We are no longer accepting bond cheques at the beginning of the season.
The Music/Buy-on Coordinator will be in contact with all families in September. Music playing schedules, instructions will be relayed.
- Out of club skaters, who pay 25% higher cost in lieu of the bond.
- Club skaters who have graduated high school are exempt from playing music/bond.
Please remember to sign in the music binder when you play. This book is a record of who is playing and when. If you do not sign-in, we will have no record that your bond was met.
- If you are scheduled to play music the first session of the day, please get the iPad & binder from a board member, or a coach as you will need to set up for the day. An experienced music player or board member can show you the ropes!
- All club music and skaters music are on our ipad
- The Buy-On skaters will come and tell you they are buying-on. If you see a skater that is not normally on the session and they have not bought on, please connect with them to make sure they fulfill their buy-on commitments
- Maximum number of skaters on any session is 18. Number of skaters above this will be at the collective discretion of the Mission Skating Club coaches
- Play group development (GD) music for 5-10 minutes on sessions that have no GD before free skate.
- For sessions that have GD before or after freeskate, play GD music for 2-3 minutes
- Go through the sessions list by playing the beginning of each skater’s music, enough time played that they will recognize it’s theirs. The skater should go to their spot. Skaters are not allowed to wave off their own music.Then mark it off in the book as follows: Played (1) No Music (NM) Refused (R) Absent (A) Pro Request (P) Off Ice (O)
- Please note the music player can skip over the skater if they are in a lesson with a coach. (If you are unsure, start their music any way, the coach will wave off if not needed).
- On busy sessions, Coaches may request, at most, a skater's music TWICE per 15 min lesson. Coaches may only request the music of the skater being coached in a lesson.
- Only Coaches can request music.
- Play the buy-on skater music ONLY after you have played the regular session skaters. Except if the coach is giving the buy-on skater a lesson, the coach then may request the buy-on skaters music.
- The music player on the last session of the day is required to return the ipad/music binder, to a board member/coach who will ensure it’s put back into the Club room. Lights in the music room (south rink) should be turned off and the door shut completely. Leave the equipment on.
- Troubleshooting bluetooth- if you’re having connection issues, please see the troubleshooting advice posted on the side of the music equipment box in the south rink music room.
A $50 music bond will be payable if a family does not participate in the music playing schedule, at the discretion of the Music Coordinator and the Executive Board. This will be due & payable on May 27th, 2023, the last day of spring season, via Uplifter. Music Coordinator will email everyone details directly.
If a family chooses to opt out of playing music at registration time, this bond will be applied for payment with registration via Uplifter and due April 1st, 2023. Please email [email protected] if you choose this option.
NO music will be accepted for playing without prior permission from the music coordinator. Once the bond status has been confirmed, the skater will have their music played in the regular weekly music rotation.
Please remember to sign in the music book when you play. This book is a record of who is playing and when. If you do not sign-in, we will have no record that your music bond was met.